History of APTEP
APTEP promotes commerce and partnerships in the Asia-Pacific region through advancements in alternative energy research, technology development and education. Due to increasing energy demands, the APTEP vision is focused on “alternative energy for sustainability”.
This includes continuing development of world-leading U.S. research capabilities; a U.S. economic base providing technologies to meet Asia-Pacific needs; and a U.S. workforce educated to develop and implement appropriate technologies. In addition, APTEP promotes partnerships with Asia-Pacific nations for the open exchange of technology advancements and joint educational opportunities.
Promote sustainability through alternative research, technology development, education and commerce
APTEP Purposes and Approaches
U.S. Cleantech Workforce
Energy Scientific and Technological Advancements
Partnerships with Asia-Pacific Nations
Hawaii and the Asia-Pacific
Hawaii is uniquely suited to serve as the center for APTEP activities due to:
Environmental similarities to other Asia-Pacific regions
Cultural, educational and economic ties to many Asia-Pacific nations
World-leading research capabilities in scientific and technology areas highly relevant to Asia-Pacific needs
(Photo courtesy of Sara Cerri)
Investments provided by APTEP will maintain and further expand Hawaii’s capabilities in the areas of research, education and commerce
In addition, APTEP promotes partnerships with Asia-Pacific nations for the open exchange of technology advancements and joint educational opportunities
Education & Workforce
- Address need for future clean-tech workforce;
- Map the K-20 grade level STEM Pipeline;
- Develop energy outreach programs to promote and sustain interest in STEM;
- Promote development of innovative learning programs in STEM topics related to clean-tech.
Research & Technology
- Research, develop and evaluate U.S. technologies applicable to Asia-Pacific regions;
- Establish partnerships with Asia-Pacific research organizations;
- Evaluate alternative energy at test-bed sites across Hawaii as models for environmental and climate diversity in Asia-Pacific regions.
Business & Marketplace
- Grow U.S. commerce by promoting U.S. clean-tech technology across Asia-Pacific regions;
- Provide resource assistance to facilitate the growth of U.S. clean-tech startups;
- Provide entrepreneurial and business maturation guidance to facilitate the development and growth of U.S. clean-tech startups.
For Hawaii, APTEP ultimately translates to Hawaii being a primary U.S. research center, producer, and marketplace for alternative energy technologies for Asia-Pacific commerce, as well as a provider of education and training for an Asia-Pacific cleantech workforce.
Energy Research and Technology Development
World-leading alternative energy research and technology development.
Growing Future Leaders
Educational curricula growing future leaders in energy technologies, economics, policy and cultural sustainment focused on the Asia-Pacific region.
Educational, Training and Outreach Activities
Educational, training and outreach activities at community colleges and local economic development organizations.
Alternative Energy Testbed Sites
Alternative energy testbed sites across the State as models for environmental and climatic diversity in Asia-Pacific regions.
Attention to Small Businesses
Alternative energy product maturation with local companies, in particular small businesses.
Open and Effective Marketplace to Asia-Pacific Nations
An open and effective international marketplace for U.S. alternative energy technologies.